I offer focused, individualized private lessons in guitar, keyboards, musicianship, and songwriting
to students in the Seattle area.
Whatever your skill level or musical style, I will work closely with you to help you go where you want to go.
Whether you're just starting out, or have been playing for a while, my approach will help you:
- Play the music you want to play, by ear or by sightreading.
- Learn to play and sing at the same time.
- Gain a clear, practical understanding of theory.
- Develop valuable skills in rhythm and ear training.
- Learn to improvise.
I also provide one-on-one guidance and coaching
for songwriters, with liberating, practical
approaches to generating and developing song ideas, crafting lyrics and melodies, and creating powerful arrangements.
Working with an experienced, insightful teacher is an excellent way to explore
and strengthen your skills in all areas of songwriting:
- Lyrics - communicating your ideas clearly, integrating
words and music
- Melody - creating memorable, singable, original tunes
- Harmony - finding chords that support the melody and provide interest and contrast
- Arranging - creating the perfect musical setting for your song
Contact me any time to discuss what you're interested in studying.
I teach in my home studio in North Seattle.
Lessons are $40 per hour.
[ If there is no link beside the dot above, use the Contact Form ]
- Award-winning songwriter, performer and recording artist with over 29 years of experience in many styles
- Over 23 years' private teaching experience; students have included many emerging and established Northwest musicians and songwriters
- Have taught Songwriting at Cornish College of the Arts.
- First-call sideman and session player (guitar, keyboards, arranging and preproduction) in the Northwest songwriter scene; has worked with Reggie Garrett, Erin Corday, Kym Tuvim, Larry Murante, Brad Warren, Kathryn Mostow, Magdalen Hsu-Li, and many others.
- BFA in Jazz Piano Performance, Cornish College of the Arts, 1989, Summa Cum Laude.
- Author of the book, "Rhythm Guitar Secrets".
- Other music writing has appeared in Smithsonian Magazine, SingOut!, and Victory Review.